The Direct Claims Account Associate under supervision handles and/or assists in monitoring, reviewing and coordinating activities involving environmental, asbestos, and latent type claims, including resolution of coverage issues and establishment of adequate reserves.
The following are the primary accountabilities of the position and are expected to be performed with support of a manager and/or mentor:
• Analyzes, investigates, and evaluates new loss notices and claim tenders.
• Works with policy search teams to find copies of alleged coverage where appropriate.
• Expeditiously analyzes and positions claim under applicable primary, umbrella and excess coverage.
• Coordinates the retention of defense counsel with internal/external stakeholders.
• Coordinates and establishes defense strategy with insured, defense counsel and/or other participating insurance carriers.
• Pro-actively manages the case resolution process. Actively participates in mediations as needed, within limit of settlement authority.
• Works with the reinsurance department to provide notice of new accounts, updates on existing accounts and responds to specific reinsurer inquiries.
• Works with in-house Legal/management to manage declaratory judgment actions, including formation and implementation of resolution strategy, settlement valuation and obtaining settlement authority.
• Collaborates on setting reserves at appropriate level for claims.
• Coordinates timely processing of payments including verifying proper allocation of such payments across appropriate policies
• Manages ALAE through strategic handling and bill review/payment processing in coordination with the billing unit.
• Appropriately documents claims in hard copy and/or systems in accordance with established guidelines.
• Obtains and maintains adjuster licenses, as required.
• Travels as necessary
• Demonstrate analytical skills.
• Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills including proper grammar usage and imparting information in a clear and concise manner.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
• Promptly responds to inquiries with a sense of urgency.
• Ability to work in a collaborative and cooperative office environment.
• Ability to multi-task and effectively deal with interruptions.
• Ability to follow instructions and established procedures.
• Proficiency with MS Word, Excel and internet applications.
• Attentive to details.
• Able to work under pressure and execute good judgment in sensitive situations.
• BA/BS degree required.
• J.D. preferred.
• CPCU or other industry designation a plus.
• Independent Property and Casualty adjuster’s license a plus.
• Minimum three years of experience in property and casualty claims, in a support role handling environmental and/or latent claims or a legal degree with relevant experience.
Job ID: 260978059